Thursday, February 28, 2013

Complaining

Luke 7:32 They are like children playing a game in the public square. They complain to their friends,

'We played wedding songs
   and you didn’t dance,
so we played funeral songs,
   and you didn’t weep.'

Jesus has a way of dealing with us so directly and cutting to the heart of the matter!  The people of Jesus' day tended to complain about all things.  John came and he was too solemn.  Jesus came and he was not solemn enough.  How I find that same mindset in myself some days.  Complaining that God doesn't do more.  Complaining when I have to go through things I don't enjoy.  Complaining when the weather is bad.  Complain when life is too good because I am just waiting for something to happen to mess it up.   Complain, complain, complain.  Sometimes I feel like my prayer list becomes a complaining list.  God, why are you not answering my prayers like I want you to? 

My prayer today is that I would learn to dance in the times of joy that God sends my way.  To really enjoy the moments of peace and joy that God brings into my life.  Too many times I am too focused on what it next to really enjoy the right now!  

My prayer today is that I would learn to weep when it is time to weep.  To have a deep compassion for the things in my life and my world that break the heart of God.  To not be willing to just escape from the world of trouble, but to walk right in and embrace the pain.  

Dance my friends!  Dance!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Traditions

Jesus was in Jerusalem and got into a heated argument with the Pharisees about hand washing. The Pharisees emphasized a ritual of hand washi...