Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Run to Win

I am a big fan of team sports!  I love the idea of a group working together to accomplish a task.  A group depending on each other and bringing out the best in each other.  However, being a fan of the team is partly because I was not very good at individual sports.  I have a second place tennis trophy, but the reality is that there were only two people in the tournament and I got beat badly.  Not sure I even won a single game, but I know I lost in straight sets.  I had some bone issues as a kid and wore correction shoes and even though I wasn't slow, I definitely wasn't fast.  I ran track but mainly did jumping events and goofed off most of the time.  

But even though individual sports are not my favorite, I respect those who can put themselves out there and compete on their own.  No team mates to blame.  Not even really a coach to blame.  It is completely up to you to do your best.  

In the Bible there are great team illustration to the faith.  We are the body of Christ!  We are called to unity!  We are called to love each other and be there for each other.  However there are also some individual sports illustrations.

Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!  1 Corinthians 9:24


When it comes to faith we need to run after faith with everything we have in order to win!  To not settle with just getting by and doing okay in or faith.  Not just holding on to finish the race, but actually do all that we can to win the race of faith.  

Paul says if people will punish their bodies in order to win a silly race and get a metal and some recognition in this world, just imagine what our motivation should be to win the prize of eternal life with Christ.  All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize.  (1 Corinthians 9:25) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Traditions

Jesus was in Jerusalem and got into a heated argument with the Pharisees about hand washing. The Pharisees emphasized a ritual of hand washi...