Monday, January 4, 2016

Powerful Prayer for Others - Part 1

A friend asked if I would put some sermon notes on my blog from Sunday and so I said I would. So this is not very detailed, but it hits the main points. Hope you find it helpful

January 3, 2016 - Abiding - John 15:5-8
“Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing. 6 Anyone who does not remain in me is thrown away like a useless branch and withers. Such branches are gathered into a pile to be burned. 7 But if you remain in me and my words remain in you, you may ask for anything you want, and it will be granted! 8 When you produce much fruit, you are my true disciples. This brings great glory to my Father.

1. "But if you remain in me" We are the branches - branches are conduit of the vine to the fruit - nothing on our own but yet God chooses to use us as part of the process of bearing fruit. So how do we stay connected/abiding in the vine? Res Howell said for him he had to go through a process of surrendering areas of his life to God. Things like:
  • Love of Money
  • Where I make my home; marriage & family
  • Holding grudges/ not willing to forgive
  • Ambition
  • Reputation
- remember whatever we hold onto God can't bless!
- when we hold on to things and refuse to surrender them to God then God allows us to be in control of those areas of our lives.


2. "And my words remain in you" the truth from the vines words must remain in us - our prayers are actually words from the vine.

3. "You may ask" - prayer is asking for the right things

4. "Anything that you desire" desire - wish - what is the desires of your surrendered heart? A surrendered heart that prays God's words and desires the things of God prays for different things than the unsurrendered heart.
5. "It will be granted" - God will answer your prayer - What types of things should we be praying about when we pray for others?

  • prayers about Fruitfulness
  • prayers about discipleship
  • prayers about God receiving the glory

No comments:

Post a Comment

Traditions

Jesus was in Jerusalem and got into a heated argument with the Pharisees about hand washing. The Pharisees emphasized a ritual of hand washi...