Friday, July 22, 2016

Vacation

I had the opportunity to go back to the town I grew up in and see some friends that I attended church with as a kid/middle school student.  I moved from Idaho Falls in 1981 at the start of my sophomore year in high school.

I was reminded of the rich heritage of church and family I had growing up.  I was so blessed to have great friends at church.  We went on retreats and camps together.  We shared a lot of great memories of the past together even after 30 plus years had gone by for some of us to see each other.  Stories of my family came up in the conversations.  My family was a part of that church body for many years and that paid off in amazing ways for me.

I was reminded that often I am far too critical of the past.  My days at the Church of the Nazarene in Idaho Falls, ID where not perfect days.  There were conflicts.  There was a spiritual pride and legalism that was a part of the church in those days.  But I found I had a tendency to remember the bad instead of focusing on the good.  What an amazing thing that so many of us were willing and able to get together after so many years!!! Something had stuck in our hearts and in our lives that was still cherished even today.

I am truly a blessed man and God is good!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Traditions

Jesus was in Jerusalem and got into a heated argument with the Pharisees about hand washing. The Pharisees emphasized a ritual of hand washi...