Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Three Names

In Matthew 23:8-12 Jesus is teaching about the problems with the Jewish religious leaders of the day and he says:   “But you are not to be called ‘Rabbi,’ for you have one Teacher, and you are all brothers. And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. 10 Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one Instructor, the Messiah. 11 The greatest among you will be your servant. 12 For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.

Don't call anyone Rabbi or teacher.  The word literally means "great in number." Someone who has great knowledge to pass on to others.  

Don't call anyone Father.  The word means one who imparts life and is committed to it.  

Don't call anyone Christ.  The word means the anointed one of God.  

Some take this concept literally and don't call anyone teacher, father or Christ. Other people use these terms liberally without thought of this passage being literally applied.  

It seems to me a good application is to put God first in these three areas of my life.  God first in my knowledge and wisdom.  I seek knowledge first and foremost from the Lord.  Other teachers and insights are great, but the Bible and the Holy Spirit are my primary teachers.  God is also first in providing and sustaining my life.  I realize that without Him I am nothing and I can't make it a second without Him.  Jesus is my one and only anointed Savior!  He continues to rescue me and I must continue to depend on Him!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Traditions

Jesus was in Jerusalem and got into a heated argument with the Pharisees about hand washing. The Pharisees emphasized a ritual of hand washi...