Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Broken

Relationships allows us to be broken.  Express our pain of loss.  Be genuine about our true emotions and feelings.
Religion tries to make us conform to an "I'm okay" group mentality.  God is good, so everything in my life must be good.
Visiting with someone who is facing the end of their lives, facing the great unknown of death- makes me take a real look at my life. Reminds me of sitting at the edge of my brother's bed- begging God for a miracle. Looking at the broken hearts of my niece and nephew, asking God, "How can this be what is right for these two kids?" Then when the moment came and my brothers earthly body took his last breathe, I felt incredible anger towards God and life.  I read from Psalm 68:5 in that moment: A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling.  Julie thought I was being a pastor, but honestly I think I was an angry kid asking His father to take care of something I felt God has messed up.  Loss, before this was distant - something that I has watched others experience.  Then is was a reality for me.  There is not religious formula that will bring you through loss, but there is a God who has walked with me through every loss and every joy. We live in a world that is longing for something real and genuine, because so much of their lives are full of fake.  When they see us and our faith, do they see real people who are broken or fake people who act like everything is okay.

Well, I better text that nephew and niece of mine and see how they are!

1 comment:

Traditions

Jesus was in Jerusalem and got into a heated argument with the Pharisees about hand washing. The Pharisees emphasized a ritual of hand washi...