Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Blessing of the Father

I am always amazed at myself and my desire to receive approval from my dad.  There is just this incredible drawing to hear his words of approval.  I can remember as a teenage my dad was always getting after me to get a job.  "Dale, did you look for a job today?" seemed like the only words I heard one summer.  To my dad's credit, he may have only said it 2-3 times and it just echoed in my mind that if I was a good son I would have a job. But my dad instilled in me a work ethic and I have not had a problem finding a job ever since that summer.  I can remember the word of my dad's criticisms and his words of pride!  They are etched deep within my soul.  I long to be a father how gives his kids words of blessing and words of challenge.  I long to live a life that my kids would know I lived what I was telling them to live.
I want to learn to desire the blessing of God just like I long for the blessing of my dad.  That God's words spoken to me would be etched in my heart forever.  That God's approval would be my greatest joy.  That God's words of challenge would motivate me like nothing else in this world.  I know God is asking for me to seek his blessings as a priority in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Traditions

Jesus was in Jerusalem and got into a heated argument with the Pharisees about hand washing. The Pharisees emphasized a ritual of hand washi...