Saturday, February 20, 2021

Lent 21 - Humble

As Julie and I were watching some TV last night the question of Journey's band members came up - one of those, "I didn't know Randy Jackson was in Journey." moments.  So as I was looking through Journey members I started to read how Robert Flieschman was the part of band for 6 months or so in 1977 and helped write the song "Wheel in the Sky."  (A personal favorite) As I read about his departure from the band he made the comment that the manager for the band did not really like Robert because he was too cocky.  Robert stated he did not know any lead singers for bands that wasn't at least a little cocky.  Now I am glad Journey went with lead singer Steve Perry but history tells us that he might have been a little cocky also.  


There is a reality that we tend to follow people who have an edge of confidence about them.  I guess we all want to have a leader we believe knows where he/she is going.  So sometimes in our upside down world it seems like the humble are always last in line.  There seems to be no real advantage of being humble. 

Then Jesus says - you are blessed when you are humble.  In God's economy and for God's favor we need to understand that God blesses the humble.  Our inheritance for being humble is the Kingdom.  That is not a suffer now so you can latter go to heaven inheritance, but also a recognition of the power and authority that is available to those who are deeply involved in the Kingdom of God today.  



P.S.  Just a funny story - so we were watching the Super Bowl with some friends and the Weeknd was singing at the halftime show.  And the people at the party my age were having a hard time understanding the words of the Weeknd songs.  I was completely included in not understanding most of the words but I was just trying to act like I understood everything... This took me back to a moment in time when my father was asking my brother and I what in the world was the band Journey was saying in the song Wheel in the Sky.  So we tried to sing it to him thinking that would help... It didn't.  We just had to say the words to him.

The wheel in the sky keeps on turnin'

I don't know where I'll be tomorrow 

Oh, the wheel in the sky keeps on turnin' 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Traditions

Jesus was in Jerusalem and got into a heated argument with the Pharisees about hand washing. The Pharisees emphasized a ritual of hand washi...