Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Lent 21- Gospel of Matthew

 Matthew 4:1-2 Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted there by the devil.  For forty days and forty nights he fasted and became very hungry.

After Jesus was baptized in the Jordan river by John the Baptist he was led by the Spirit into the wilderness.  I just have to let that sink into my mind today.  After a spiritual high and hearing the voice of the Father saying, "This is my dearly loved Son, who brings me great joy," Jesus is led to the wilderness. 


I love that Jesus is affirmed by the Father before he has done anything.  No miracles have been performed, no great sermons have been given, no massive crowds have been brought together and God still loves His Son.  

I do not love it so much that the leading of the Holy Spirit might lead us to places of testing and dryness. I want the Holy Spirit to lead me into victory over my enemies, success, safety and ease.  I am pleased when the Spirit leads me places and people recognize His leading and want to follow me.  I am pleased when I get to be used by the work of the Holy Spirit for the Kingdom and I do believe that is what God is up to in our lives... but sometimes we have to be willing for the Holy Spirit to lead us into the wilderness as well as to the mountaintop. 

Jesus was tempted in the wilderness and so we must be most aware of the temptations that come in the path of wilderness and preperation.  I think the enemy of our soul is always tempting us at every opportunity he has, but there are specific temptations during wilderness times.  When things are not going our way we are tempted to: 

    1. Turn rocks into stones - you can not count on God to take care of your simple needs so you better take care of yourself. 

    2. Throw ourselves down so angels will catch us - you can not count on God's plan because it will be slow and deliberate, make God act now.

    3. Bow down to the enemy - you can not trust God's methods so try some other paths to find an easy way out of the wilderness. 

We can still trust God in the wilderness and dry times of our lives.  He still loves us, He still has a plan for our lives and He is still at work.  The key for us to trust God is to know Who Jesus Is!  The journey of the Gospel of Matthew is to remind us of who Jesus is and why who He is matters.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Traditions

Jesus was in Jerusalem and got into a heated argument with the Pharisees about hand washing. The Pharisees emphasized a ritual of hand washi...