Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Woe

Jesus warns his audience in Luke 7:24-26 - "woe to you"  Watch out!  You are warned now that you may not have God's blessing in your life if you are:
1. Rich
2. Well fed
3. Laugh now
4. If all men speak well of you

I am rich, well fed, I laugh a lot, and most people speak well of me.  Not all, I know.  But even at that I want all people to speak well of me.  It is a goal.  But Jesus turns all that upside down and says that the things I strive for are all things to be warned against.  So what is our response to this warning?  Will we simply explain it away or ignore it because it doesn't fit in our paradigm?  

Some of my heart response to Jesus' warnings:

I need to see I am rich and blessed and I must learn to be more generous!
I need to realize I am well fed and I need to fast.
I need to not laugh at the things that break the heart of God.
I need to be willing to stand up for injustice even if people don't like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Traditions

Jesus was in Jerusalem and got into a heated argument with the Pharisees about hand washing. The Pharisees emphasized a ritual of hand washi...