Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Conflict is Key to Great Story

I have avoided conflict most of my life.  I avoided fights because I thought I was too weak to stand up for myself or others.  I avoided difficult conversations because of an overwhelming fear that would rise up within me.  I just wanted peace in my life and for everything to be comfortable and easy.
I can look back on my life and see the ways God was trying to bring out of me the courage to stand up and fight.  Sometimes it would help and I would gain courage and rise up, but other times I would shrink back and feel like a failure.
I took some steps in courage in sports.  I found myself sitting the bench in 9th grade basketball when I had been a guy who played a lot the year before.  I went to the coach to talk about the situation and he had one of those tough conversations where he told me I just didn't show the effort or the heart that some of the other boys were showing.  If I wanted to play more I would have to play harder and not be such a nice guy.  I wanted to play so I started working harder and playing harder and it paid off in time on the court.
I was watching Donald Millers video on Right Now Media - "Let Story Guide You" and Donald talks about the fact that conflict is an essential part of our story.  A story has to have: 1. Lead character, 2. Objective, 3. Conflict, and 4. Resolution.  Every great story has great conflict.   If we want to the story of our lives to be a great story we have to realize we must overcome great conflict.  So when I live my life to avoid conflict I am really saying I want an average life with an average story.  If you want to live out a great story we need to have a great objective and then to overcome the conflict it takes to have a great story.
God often says to people in the Bible - Do not be afraid!  I must keep my fear of conflict away from having a life of conflict and truly having a great story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Traditions

Jesus was in Jerusalem and got into a heated argument with the Pharisees about hand washing. The Pharisees emphasized a ritual of hand washi...