Monday, January 7, 2013

Day 1 - Confession

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

The best place to start a journey of fasting and prayer is to confess our sins to God and to seek His forgiveness and grace.  

I was watching an interview with David Letterman the other day and David said something like: I thought I was a pretty decent guy, but I came to this place where I realized my actions where not consistent with the decent guy I thought I was.  We all pretty much believe we are a pretty decent and good people.  However, our actions don't always match up with our concept of being a good person.  

I often go back to this scripture as a comfort and reminder that I need to be a person who often comes to that reality that my actions don't match my heart to be the follower of Jesus.   I want to be who God wants me to be, so I must confess my sins and my faults and seek God's forgiveness.  

David was reminded of his sin and wrote these words (Psalms 51:3-7) 

For I know my transgressions,  and my sin is always before me. Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight;
so you are right in your verdict  and justified when you judge. Surely I was sinful at birth,  sinful from the time my mother conceived me. Yet you desired faithfulness even in the womb;  you taught me wisdom in that secret place.   Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.

What do you need to confess to God today to start the journey of blessing? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Traditions

Jesus was in Jerusalem and got into a heated argument with the Pharisees about hand washing. The Pharisees emphasized a ritual of hand washi...