Monday, January 21, 2013

Day 13 - Facing Your Fears

Isaiah 41:10  Don’t be afraid, for I am with you.
    Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you.
    I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.

I have a couple of embarrassing and unreasonable fears.  I have a bit of claustrophobia in me that makes it difficult to climb under my house and complete a simple project. It really irritates me when that feeling comes over me and I have to climb out from under the house.  I blame that fear on my brother who always thought it was so funny to capture me in a sleeping bag and close off the end and drag me around the house.  I also have a silly fear of needles.  I say it is silly, because I can take a sewing needle and stick it in my arm and it is no big deal.  But when I go to the doctor's office and they want to take blood or give me a shot, if get really nervous and I start to sweat.  It is so strange.  

We can face fears in our spiritual journey as well.  Unreasonable feelings that come into our hearts and minds as we follow Jesus.  Sometimes we fear what other people will think of us.  Sometimes we fear what other people will do to us.  God longs to remind us that we do not have to fear if we really believe God is on our side.  If God is for us, who can be against us?  He has all the strength we need to live a life that we can face our fears and overcome our discouragements. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Traditions

Jesus was in Jerusalem and got into a heated argument with the Pharisees about hand washing. The Pharisees emphasized a ritual of hand washi...