Monday, January 4, 2021

2021 New Start

At the beginning of each new year I find it helpful to take some time to devote the year to God and to spend some extra time and energy towards developing my faith.  To me it is recognition that if I have the opportunity to live another year I want to live it for the Kingdom of God and the cause of Christ. So I invite you to join me on the journey for the next 21 days - January 4-24th, 2021.  I like to do some fasting and some designated times of prayer to seek the Lord.  I find that seeking God's blessing and God's favor in these days often leads to selfish pursuits.  I feel like it is best to allow God to determine what I need most in these next 21 days and in the next year.  As I start the journey,  I simply ask God to lead me and then I just need to be obedient to whatever He calls me to do in the next 21 days.  At Faith Community we are on a journey to read through the Bible in 2 years and so for this blog time I will be continuing to follow that scripture reading plan.  I will be reflecting on what God has to say to me through these scriptures. Dialogue and conversation about what God is saying to you would be fun but the most important thing is for you to journey through scripture with the Holy Spirit.  So if this blog helps - great!  If not - no problem and do not feel obligated to read.  I know the process of writing this down will help me if no one else.  I will journal with the SOAP method through these days - Scripture - Observation - Application - Prayer.


Scripture Reading - 1 Peter 5

1 Peter 5:6-9 So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and at the right time he will lift you up in honor. Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you. Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour. Stand firm against him, and be strong in your faith. Remember that your family of believers all over the world is going through the same kind of suffering you are.

Observation: Leaders in the church need to watch over people God has entrusted to our care.  Peter speaks here of the term elder and I understand the significance of the role of elder in the church, but I also know that Peter talks about the priesthood of all believers.  So if we have influence over some group of people in the faith,  I believe we can apply these verses to our lives.  As  a leader it is important to lead with a willing spirit.  It is easy to forget leadership is a privilege and not an obligation.  Peter says to lead with an eagerness to serve.  Peter says we must lead by example.  And then Peter reminds us that if we are leading or following in the Kingdom of God we need to do it with humility.  Humility may be my word for the year. Humility is the best way to live in response to God's love and in response to people who are in authority over us in this world.  Humility allows God the opportunity to lift us up at the right time.  The more time I spend exalting myself the less likely God will be able to exalt me at the time He wants to exalt me.  Humility allows me to trust God with my life and my future.  Humility helps us to win the battle with the devil and to stand strong in our faith.  

Application:  I want to stay completely confident in God and humble in spirit.  I need to remember that God's path to significance is not the same as the world's path to significance.  Humility is not an easy concept to practice but it is worthwhile.  I believe human pride is one of the most sneaky and destructive sins in the life of a follower of Jesus.   I know I need to be alert for the battle the enemy is bringing at me.  I know I need to fight the feelings and the voices that say I am alone in my battle.  I have been tempted to say in these days of a pandemic it is hard to start a church in these days.  It is a temptation to point out how much more difficult my journey is than everyone else's journey.  The truth is this pandemic has been hard on a lot of people.  Our job is not to build the church but to humbly be about the work of the Kingdom and God will lift us up at the right time. 

Prayer: Lord, I pray that I would have great confidence in Your power.  I pray for my faith to develop this year as I learn to trust you more completely today.  Lord, I pray that You would continue to teach me to be humble. Lord, help me to be alert and stand against the plans of the devil to destroy and hinder my faith. I pray for those who are part of my family, my church family and for those who need to be connected to you and the family of God.  Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment

Traditions

Jesus was in Jerusalem and got into a heated argument with the Pharisees about hand washing. The Pharisees emphasized a ritual of hand washi...