Thursday, January 7, 2021

New Start - January 7

Strange days in our country and the one thing I know we need to do is to pray.  I know is it hard not to see things through our own particular lens or get completely away from the lens of the media we choose to gain our perspectives.  We won't all agree on the political situation but we can agree to pray for our leaders and our country. The battles described in Joshua may remind us that nations and politics have always been a bit messy. 

Scripture: Joshua 9-11 

Joshua 9:14 So the Israelites examined their food, but they did not consult the Lord.

Observations: 

As I wrestle with the passage of the army of Israel killing everyone in a cities and a nation it can be quite a daunting task.  God seems so cruel and his people so cruel.  I know that God does not need to justify His actions to me.  I realize I was not there and don't know the actions of the people of those nations before God chose to help the Israelites defeat them.  I guess one thing I think about is the reality of the choices we make and the choices that God made.  When he promised Abraham a land and a nation - He knew that there would be people living in that land.  When we make choices and decisions there are always consequences for those choices.  In order to give Israel a Promised Land - someone had to leave or be destroyed. At high school this week I have talked to students about choices - you can chose to do or not to do the work but you do not always get to choose the consequences.

The Israelites got in some trouble by making a treaty with a nation that they thought was far away but was actually close.  Joshua 9:14 says they examined the food that was a gift but failed to consult the Lord.  Many times in my life I have looked at all the outward signs and potential issues about a decision.  I have logically examined the issues.  I may have made a "pros" and "cons" list.  But how easy it is to just fail to consult the Lord. To truly pray about a decision.  To truly ask others for Godly wisdom.  To read the Bible to seek for answers.  

Application: 

I need to keep wrestling with the Bible.  Understanding comes as I continue to ask God the tough questions.  Understanding comes when I seek to see the fulfillment of the Old Testament in the New Testament. Believing that God loves and is just.  God is a god who will hold true to His word. 

I need to learn to better hear the voice of God and find ways to listen better.  Both by being a better student of the Bible and a better listener during prayer.  God wants to help me avoid so many bad decisions but at times I miss that because I think I am so smart and I do not need God's help.  

Prayer: 

God I pray that Your Kingdom would come and Your will would be done on earth as it is in heaven.  I praise You, Lord for Your faithfulness to Your people and I pray I would be faithful to You.  Help me to seek for Your wisdom and understanding in all the decisions of my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Traditions

Jesus was in Jerusalem and got into a heated argument with the Pharisees about hand washing. The Pharisees emphasized a ritual of hand washi...