Wednesday, January 20, 2021

New Start - January 20

Reading this middle part of the writings of the prophet Isaiah make you wonder about his mental health.  Such visions of destruction and loss must have been a burden to carry that weighed him down.  Did you catch the part of him being naked and barefoot for 3 years.  I don't even walk around my house naked for more than 3 minutes.  

Isaiah 20:3 Then the Lord said, “My servant Isaiah has been walking around naked and barefoot for the last three years. This is a sign—a symbol of the terrible troubles I will bring upon Egypt and Ethiopia. 

I believe I am going to keep that concept in my mind the next time I think God has called me to do something strange. Well, at least God is asking me to do it with my clothes on.

Isaiah's visions of destruction for nations all around Israel and than also for Israel.  It is one thing to see your enemies destroyed, but then to have visions of your own people destroyed would be a heavy load.  

Isaiah 24:5 The earth suffers for the sins of its people,
    for they have twisted God’s instructions,
violated his laws,
    and broken his everlasting covenant.

No matter the visions of destruction and how bad they seem there is always a small splinter of hope.  There is always a remnant that survives and God gives us hope.  

Isaiah 24:14-16a But all who are left shout and sing for joy.                                                      Those in the west praise the Lord’s majesty.

15 In eastern lands, give glory to the Lord.
    In the lands beyond the sea, praise the name of the Lord, the God of Israel.
16 We hear songs of praise from the ends of the earth,
    songs that give glory to the Righteous One!

In the midst of pain and loss God has a way of bringing a song of joy.  The work of the Lord will continue and the songs that glorify God will continue to rise.  



PS - I confess that I have been the downfall of several tambourines and though I have not destroyed them I hid them well enough not to be found.  So I may start proof texting Isaiah 24:8 The cheerful sound of tambourines is stilled... and call it God's will.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Traditions

Jesus was in Jerusalem and got into a heated argument with the Pharisees about hand washing. The Pharisees emphasized a ritual of hand washi...