Sunday, January 10, 2021

New Start - January 10, 2021

 Scripture: Joshua 19-21 

Joshua 20:9 These cities were set apart for all the Israelites as well as the foreigners living among them. Anyone who accidentally killed another person could take refuge in one of these cities. In this way, they could escape being killed in revenge prior to standing trial before the local assembly.


Observations: 

Israel was a nation that came out of a brutal culture of slavery, went through 40 years of survival in the wilderness, and now has been a nation at war.  It makes sense that some form of refuge city would need to be developed in order to have justice in the land.  A place where you can run and hide in order to have a trail before the family who lost a loved one might take revenge on their loss. 

Levites were given cities and pasture lands to take care of their families while they took care of the Tabernacle and eventually the synagogues that would be developed.  They were spread out around the country in cities to strategically take care of the business of worship and sacrifices to God. 

Applications: 

God wanted to start the change in Israel's culture from war and hostility to peace and justice. God used war and adversity to develop a nation and give that nation a land for themselves.  But it was not His desire that they be that type of nation for the long term.  I may face times of turmoil and adversity in my life that can develop me as a person and develop my faith, but I need to believe God is working towards a purpose and plan for those seasons.  I must keep my eyes toward the next thing God is up to in my journey and how the adversity will prepare me to the next season. 

God is still working strategically for the Kingdom.  I can look at the chaos of our world and forget that God is still at work. I can get discouraged by the adversity and forget God will accomplish His mission in the world. 

Prayer: 

Father, I believe today that You are a God of justice and a God who is active in the world today. I pray You would lead me toward being active in fighting for justice in the world and in our culture.  I thank You for the great privilege of being part of the Kingdom of God and I pray that Your Kingdom would be my priority today, this year and the rest of my life.  You are good! Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Traditions

Jesus was in Jerusalem and got into a heated argument with the Pharisees about hand washing. The Pharisees emphasized a ritual of hand washi...