Saturday, January 9, 2021

New Start 2021 - January 9, 2021

Scripture: Joshua 16-18 

Joshua 17:17-18  Then Joshua said to the tribes of Ephraim and Manasseh, the descendants of Joseph, “Since you are so large and strong, you will be given more than one portion. The forests of the hill country will be yours as well. Clear as much of the land as you wish, and take possession of its farthest corners. And you will drive out the Canaanites from the valleys, too, even though they are strong and have iron chariots.” 

Joshua 18:3 Then Joshua asked them, “How long are you going to wait before taking possession of the remaining land the Lord, the God of your ancestors, has given to you?


Observations: 

I find it interesting that the "iron chariots" are mentioned as to why the tribe of Ephraim and Manasseh could not drive out the Canaanites from the land.  The God who put the Egyptian army at the bottom of the see - who defeated the enemies of God with a hail storm - this God could not handle "iron chariots"? 

In chapter 18 we have this picture of the 7 tribes who are resisting taking possession of their land. They seemed comfortable in the big group assembly and now they had to leave the comfort and start making a new home for themselves.  God had provided and yet they were hesitant to move forward. 

Application: 

Then I think about what are the "iron chariots" in my life.  The things I think might be too much for God to handle.  The things that keep putting fear in my heart. The things I don't want allow God to handle. 

I can definitely relate to trying to stay in my comfort zone.  When God wants me to move in a different direction and I am stuck moving the same direction.  But God, this worked for me in the past, why can't I just keep doing this the same way? 

Prayer: 

Lord thank you for your promises and your faithfulness in keeping your promises.  Help me to keep trusting you in all circumstances of my life even the areas that seem impossible.  Help me to follow you wherever you lead me and help me trust in your ways over what I have done in my past. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Traditions

Jesus was in Jerusalem and got into a heated argument with the Pharisees about hand washing. The Pharisees emphasized a ritual of hand washi...